Monday, September 3, 2007

What is GIS?

A GIS (Geographic Information System) is a system that links geographic information (where things are) with descriptive information (what things are). Unlike a flat paper map, where "what you see is what you get," a GIS can present many layers of different information.

In simple terms, a user could search such a system based on their location & retrieve information based on where they live (or plan to live), work, study, travel etc.

Connect Me is a good example of a GIS system. I can input my address (or pick a point on the map) & then click 'Find my Nearest' & the system will search a big database & return results based on location. It can then tell me where my nearest bank, doctor, creche, community centre is located and show it to me on a map. Sounds good? Check it out here: www.sdublincoco.ie/localview/

No comments: